June 07, 2012

Divine Twine

Some days my crafty side gets so tired of being repressed that it just jumps out at the smallest opportunity and refuses to go back to being quiet until I've repurposed, moved, shuffled, glued, covered, you name it everything in site!  Saturday was one such day! 

What started as a simple bookcase decorating shuffle (more on that later) turned into quality time with my glue gun.  I just love those days!  Thankfully, Dear Hubs was missing due to an overdue haircut at his man salon and Baby B decided to nap like a champ; so I had a few good hours to rebuild and overhaul everything in sight.  Glorious!

For y'all who know this diva well, you know once I get going with that glue gun, I just don't stop easy.  Lucky for me it worked well this time and I've got a cute little accessory for my porch as a result. 



The twine covered pot topped with moss and oyster shells is a perfect trinket to round out a burlap covered table on the porch.  As a sidebar, I've recovered all the pillows, added a rug and a few other things that have me just giddy about the way this room has come together! 

The best part of this little trinket ... NO COST!  I know, right?  It was made with supplies that were onhand... can you believe that?  Between the price tag (none) and the fact this whips together super fast, it's a craft that just can't be beat.  I'll surely be using this process again!

To create a little twine accessory for yourself, it's simple so here goes.  First, you need a spool of twine (I found some in Dear Hub's tool box ...ssshhhh!), glue gun and flower pot or vase.  In this case, I have a ton of these plastic terra cotta looking pots from old orchids that have gone on to orchid heaven. 




Begin by securing the twine on the bottom of the flower pot with hot glue.  Since this is your anchor, don't be stingy!  Begin wrapping the twine around the very bottom edge (on the side).  Secure in 3-4 places with a small dab of hot glue.  


After the first row is in place, continue wrapping the twine.  Every 4 rows, I ensured that the rows were real tight to one another and the string was pulled taught.  Then, I secured that row in place with one dab of glue.  Continue this motion all the way to the top edge.


When you get to the very top, repeat the process (backward) that you did on the bottom.  In this case, glue the top edge in 3-4 places and then wrap the tail in the top.  Secure on the inside with glue.


For this vase, I filled it with trash bags to stuff it and then topped with some moss.  Once it was mounded up, I added 2 oyster shells for a little focal interest. 

I'm pleased as punch with the result!  This little gem is darling and I will definitely be crafting with some divine twine here soon!