Ya'll ... I must apologize in advance for the horrid photograph that accompanies this recipe. Here's the scoop... I have a bad rep with friends and family for taking pictures of the strangest things. Heck, I've even had an entire photo shoot over a cupcake before (they say confession is good for the soul, right?). And so, when our dear friends, the M family, stayed with us a few weeks ago, I had to be sneaky and snap the pic of the finished product when everyone was occupied with littles, coffee or conversation!
I just love to entertain and I'm also a sucker for a delish breakfast. This recipe is an easy two for one! These little tasty treats are bacon, egg and cheese cups. They make the perfect single serving for a big crowd. Some of the gents even had two or three!
Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cups
(first select your quantity of finished items. I will use X in the recipe below, but insert that quantity)
X pieces of bread - white or wheat works just fine
X pieces of bacon
shredded cheese - I used about 1 to 1.5 cups (just eyeball it)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Begin by cooking the bacon to a state where it's warm but NOT crisp. Don't worry, it will continue cooking when you bake. I did mine in the microwave for about 3 minutes for 8 slices.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll the bread to a 1/4 inch thickness. You want this thin, but not so thin that it breaks. Using a cookie cutter, cut a circle out of the bread that is big enough to fill the bottom of your muffin cups and also cover some of the side.
4. Crack all eggs, whisk to scamble and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the bread in a greased muffin tin. One piece per cup.
6. Fold each piece of bacon in half and lay on top of the bread.
7. Fill the cup with egg mixture. Do NOT fill to the top, it will expand as you bake. It's about 1 egg per cup.
8. Sprinkle cheese on top.
9. Bake for about 20 min or until set to your liking. (the egg will stop jiggling when it's done!)
For a big group, plate these up for a large table to pass or dine on buffet style. The best part ... you don't need a fork to eat these bacon and eggs! Kids love that!