With a few less margaritas on the agenda this year (due to the impending arrival of baby B next month), this Cinco de Mayo will be celebrated a little differently than Mexican Independence Days of the past. I'm still looking forward to my Mexican feast of tacos and layer dip tonight to celebrate the 5th of May. And, to top the meal off, a sweet "rita" dessert. Instead of a lovely, slushly frozen marg; my margarita glasses have been transformed into the perfect dessert dishes for individual key lime pies. Still limey, tart and sweet; these little treats will make a great dessert for the Cinco de Mayo dinner!
My recipe is so simple, you can whip these up tonight and enjoy your own celebratory dessert with your Mexican feast tonight!
Individual (Oh So Simple) Key Lime Pies
4-6 margarita glasses
1 ready made graham cracker pie crust
6 oz can of frozen limeade mix
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
Cool Whip or whipped cream
green food coloring (optional)
1. Combine limeade, condensed milk and heavy whipping cream in a bowl and whip until peaks form.
2. If you want a "greener" color key lime, add a drop of food coloring and continue beating for 30 seconds to mix.
3. Crush the crust into pieces and spread into the bottom of the margarita glasses.
4. Top crust with key lime mixture
5. Add a dollop of Cool Whip on top
6. Add a straw or lime wedge for garnish
Enjoy with a cheers and a big spoon!