May 04, 2011

Give the Dog a Bone

A few weeks ago, you had the pleasure of being introduced to the Diva Dog dynamic duo.  These two are a riot and keep me on my toes.  Most recently, Miss Sheila (the older of the two) has had some health problems and so being true to their name ... we are now on a specific vet ordered diva dog diet of rice, carrots and chicken.  Yes, I think my dogs officially eat better than me at this point!

Given the current pampering of these two fur babies, I thought why not try my hand at some healthy dog treats.  So, with a good excuse to use up the milk in the fridge and a reason to pull out my cookie cutter collection ... I whipped up these nutty treats for the diva dogs in a snap!  These are so very easy to make and I'm pretty sure if left unattended they would be gone in a few minutes!  This recipe is great because it doesn't include some crazy preservatives (so it should be eaten in 5-7 days after making them) and it makes a large batch of over 24 medium size treats. 


My well loved cookie cutters, including a dog bone of course!

Peanut Dog Treats
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and in a separate bowl, combine the milk and peanut butter.  
3.  Stir the peanut butter and milk until smooth.
4.  Gradually add the liquids to the dry ingredients.
5.  Knead dough by-hand and roll-out on floured surface to desired thickness. Cut-out treats.
6.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Cool before storing.



Colby checking out his treat

Sheila thinks it's pretty great, too

Wrapped a few for doggy friends Henry and Cooper

 ~charmed b