I've been making warm chicken salad for a number of years. I remember shortly after my last move, I made this for a few new friendly neighbors. The response from the girls and their misters was "anytime you can incorporate potato chips into a dinner entree, you know you have a winner!". Well, I'd have to agree and as a result I love making this warm chicken salad from time to time.
|Makes a great meal on its own - or add sides if you wish!|
|Chips for dinner - what could be better?|
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 - 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 can water chestnuts, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small pkg slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp grated onion OR onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 bag Ruffles ridged potato chips (note - low fat or baked chips do NOT taste good in this and mush when you cook them!)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Be sure the sour cream and mayo are combined well with the hard ingredients.
2. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. Crush the bag of potato chips. Spread 2/3 of the bag into the bottom of the casserole dish.
4. Cover chips with the chicken mixture evenly.
5. Top casserole with remaining chips and cheese.
6. Bake approx. 20 minutes at 375 until warm throughout.
This is a meal on its own, but a steamed green veggie and homemade muffins are great sides too!